Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Translate

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Sunday at Umlauf with Ian

(The greatest form of flattery)


I first met Ian in a production of Mary Poppins at ZACH Theatre. I thought he had great facial features and then I saw him dance. I had taken a few pictures and I thought it would be interesting to photograph a dancer at various locations around Austin. I'm always thinking art and fashion when I decide to create art.
(Incredible height, the grace of a dancer)
(Inspiration from the sculpture)

There are many people I want to photograph, but the timing isn't always right. Sometimes I'm available and they aren't and vice versa. It has taken, months or years before I was able to photograph someone, but it was definitely worth the wait. I do my best to get to know the people I'm interested in photographing. I know what works as far as attire and I have an idea of how to set up the perfect shot.
(Ian in Mary Poppins, this is where we first met)

Ian told me when he would be available and we went from there. There was only one draw back, he was about to have shoulder surgery and I didn't want him to injure himself for the sake of my art.
I was quite impressed with what we had to work with. The first location was going to be The Hope Gallery, also known as Grafitti Park, but there were too many people. In the past when I was going to use tthis loccation I went right after church and there were a lot of people.
(The artist gets in on the act, using a secondary camera and a timer.)

My second location was at ZACH to photograph Ian against the blue wall and the glass along the ramp. I usually insert myself into some of the images using two cameras and a timer. They images looked good, but I wouldn't know for sure until I would look at them on the computer.
As most people know, I am not one for photoshopping images. I like capturing what my eye sees and if it doesn't come out right I work on it. I  like using natural light and making my subject as comfortable as possible. That's what makes the photographs beautiful works of art.
(When dealing with models you have to remind them to bring certain things. Ian was prepared with props, shoes and clothing choices. Doesn't get an easier than that.)

My next location was the Umlauf sculpture garden. This was going to be my first time going there as was Ian's. I really didn't know what the place would look like and I really had nothing in mind other than to have Ian strike dance poses among the sculptures.
(After looking at this image, it made me think of the film Footloose and the hat stays on)

I mentioned to Ian how I felt dancers, athletes and construction workers make for the best models. They don't really need much guidance and are used to flexing their muscles. I prefer using people who have never modeled before because the shots or so much more organic and I make it a point to do most of the work when I get a great pose.

Everything at Umlauf was impromptu. As I saw a sculpture or location I'd give Ian a few minutes to get set up and then I would start shooting. Sometimes as he was in a stretching pose or a little warm up before a leap or an extension. Striking the same pose as a sculpture...
I really enjoyed this photo shoot. Once he heals perhaps I'll have the opportunity to photograph him and his wife who is also a dancer.


www.dlonzo-OpenYourMind.blogspot.com
www.ArtbyDlonzo.blogspot.com
http://psychedmaster.org

Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind. Do return to see where the journey leads.

No comments: